Thursday, March 28, 2013

Giving Up

Here we are on Holy Thursday 2013, as Lent draws to a close, I reflect on what I gave up this year.

What did I give up you might ask?

This year, I didn't give up anything in particular as much as I just gave up.  Instead of sitting there telling God what I want to give up, I did something that I probably should have done a long time ago and actually listened instead.

Doing this, I think I grew more in faith this year.  I felt that instead of merely saying I would have more faith, I actually lived it.  When one says "let go and let God", how many are actually able to do it?  I found myself purging myself of things that really just didn't matter.  For instance, I had to let go of a beautiful house over this Lent because, as beautiful as it is, it wasn't worth what I was paying for it in rent.  And taxes.  And the dwelling insurance for the landlords.  And the repairs.  

Yes, this was the worst lease I've ever signed in my life.  I'm happy to be relieved of it.

But equally as important, I knew that even facing this beast finally during this Lent, I was bestowed another gift that was something I thirsted for for literally years:  God restored my faith in my fellow man.

I saw people offering help, even bending over backwards to make sure that I was alright.  It was humbling, but not in a bad way by any means.  Everyone wants to serve someone else.  "Oh sure, I'd love to come down to the food pantry and give my time" is the general attitude, but how many people actually want to be served themselves?  We think of Jesus humbling himself to wash the feet of the apostles and in turn, allowing the apostles to feel that sense of humility themselves; that sometimes, they too, need to be taken care of and served.

I've learned this lesson in the past, but apparently God had a reason for me to experience it again.  Maybe I'm supposed to teach my girlfriend this lesson.  And this time, it really sunk in with me.  The one thing I do know is that I won't have to worry about having a roof over my head, food on the table, and enough money coming in to take care of my obligations.  

And really, what more can I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment